About The Department
Marina has been a Public Safety Department with the police and fire services combined for over 25 years, but now has its own separate police and fire division. The Police Department has thirty sworn officers, and ten non-sworn personnel. The current authorized staffing includes the Chief of Police, two Commanders, six Sergeants, and twenty Officers. Those sworn positions are supported by one Administrative Assistant, one Records Supervisor, two Records Technicians, one Evidence Technician, one part-time Training Coordinator, and three Community Service Officers. The department services include various police patrol services, vehicle abatement, records, including live scan fingerprinting, animal control, school resource services, and crime prevention through environmental design.
About The City
The City of Marina has approximately 93 full time employees, and several seasonal workers, part-time/temporary workers and volunteers, including Volunteer Fire Fighters and Police Reserves. The general fund budget is $17.1 million, a total budget of $36.8 million. The City is a full-service city, and consists of the following departments: City Manager’s Office, Police, Fire, Community Development, which includes Airport, Planning, Engineering, Building and Public Works; Development Services Department, which includes Redevelopment, Housing, Real Estate and Property Management, Economic Development; and Recreation and Cultural Services, Finance, and Human Resources and Risk Management.
An Exciting Time for the City of Marina!
- Marina is proud of its sizeable ethnic and culturally diverse population.
- You can enjoy four shopping centers and conduct financial business affairs with four banks.
- Marina's library is a large modern facility.
- In collaboration with the Monterey Unified School District, Marina opened Marina High School, its first high school.
- Marina includes portions of the California State University Monterey Bay, Golden Gate University, the University of California Monterey Bay Education, Science & Technology Center (MBEST).
- The Dunes Development is a major project currently underway, which includes a housing component and major retailers, including Target, REI, Kohls, Old Navy, Michael's, Best Buy and Bed, Bath, and Beyond. A state of the art movie theater is being planned.
- Marina's airport can accommodate private, business or recreational aircraft.
- Marina encompasses 9,000 acres, which was once owned by ‘Fort Ord’ and is in the process of returning it to the public for natural habitat, educational opportunities and development.
- Marina recently saw the opening of the state of the art Peninsula Wellness Center for your health and fitness needs.
- Visitors can enjoy the beautiful water-front Marina Dunes Resort and time share, or the new Ramada Inn. And much more . .