Effective August 18, 2015
- AMCAL Promontory Student Housing – Grand Opening August 2015
- Light and Motion lease at Marina Municipal Airport
- Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula Wellness Center expansion (CHOMP)- Park and Ride lot
- Rockrose Gardens-21 units residential, adults with mental illness
- University Village Apartments (2nd & 9th St): 108 unit apartment complex - waiting list (Low income)
- Reservation Rd: Del Monte – Seacrest: $252,350 CIP - Roadway Maintenance Project Overlay
- Reservation Rd: Beach – Del Monte : $2,549,600 CIP - Traffic Circles, Roadway/Pedestrian Improvements
- Greenwaste Recovery Franchise Agreement
Cypress Knolls (Patton Park Housing):
. During 2014, City staff completed a major clean up of property to take care of safety issues
- City Council will next address this project's status and options during FY15/16.
Sea Haven (formerly Marina Heights):
- Developer continues seeking a vertical builder for the 299 Phase 1 lots for which all infrastructure improvements are complete and are ready for vertical construction. Developer anticipates pulling building permits in next 90 – 120 days.
Airport Master Plan:
- Draft chapters of the Master Plan will be presented to and reviewed by a Planning Advisory Committee (PAC) that is comprised of various airport stakeholders, including representatives from the City of Marina, FAA, Caltrans, airport businesses, tenants, and area economic development interests. Two public information workshops have been held to encourage citizens to learn more about the future plans for the airport. The final public information open house was held on June 18, 2015 from 5:30 – 7:00 pm at the airport conference room.
- Consultation with FAA regarding approval of forecasts in process.
- Investigation of alternative alignments for north side access road in process.
- Meet with Armstrong Ranch regarding future RPZ on Armstrong holdings
- Hangar 510 pavement repair was completed.
- Airport Business Park/MBEST Center Specific Plan Project: Project description was completed. An administrative draft of the Specific Plan was prepared and began review by the City and UC staff during 2014.
- Next steps include coordination with FAA and environmental review of project.
- Approximately 150 acre site (75 acres City of Marina, 19 acres business aviation reserve, 56 acres Business Park.
- Approximately 75 acres University of California
- Current length = 3,483 ft.
- Length is subject to change based on FAA – approve critical aircraft and aviation forecast
- Short-term length extension being evaluated
- Ultimate length = 5,800 ft. contemplated for airport planning purposes
Interest from FBO:
- Aircraft concierge mgmt/maint service program
- Detail, clean, restock
- Inspection, repair, battery services
- Oxygen/nitrogen servicing
- Pilot services
- Flight planning
- Anticipate fuel truck – Jet A
- Turbo prop craft (turbo base engine) i.e. Skydive
- Large military aircraft
The Dunes Development:
- VA Clinic:
- Veterans Affairs Marina Health Care Clinic $100M project
o Vertical construction of Foundation/steel superstructure began Oct. 20, 2014.
o MCWD and PG&E working on utility easements.
o 3-story; approximately 150,000 sq. ft. facility located on 14.31 acres
o Anticipated project completion date – Spring 2016
- The Promontory (AMCAL) - Completed
- Grand Opening August 2015 for initial occupancy to occur Fall Semester, 2015.
- 8 acre parcel located at Imjin Rd. & 8th St –Adjacent to CSUMB. $44M project.
- Construction of three, four-story purpose- buildings will house 175 one-, two-, three- and four-bedroom dormitory units, for a total of 583 bedrooms..
- 4,600 sq. ft. community center
- Computer lab/business center, clubhouse and fitness area
- University Villages Housing Project - Completed
- This $21M project is a 108 affordable unit housing apartment complex for very low income individuals.
- University Village Apartments (2nd & 9th St.) was completed during May 2014.
- 108 unit apartment complex and community center – waiting list
- Very low-income households
- Cinemark and Village Square :
- $5.8M project
- Grand Opening October 2015
- Features: wall-to-wall, ceiling-to-floor screens
- Dunes Residential Housing:
- Phase 1(C) – 117 lot site plan approved
- 64 homes are being constructed
- 68 building permits have been issued to date.
- Final build out 1,237 homes
- 20% residential affordable units (248 units)
- 5% workforce housing (62 units)
- Retail and Restaurants (Scott Negri)
- 21,000 Square feet retail development
- Planning Commission public hearings held May 28, 2015 and August 4, 2015. City Council public hearing August 18, 2015
- Tenants: Blaze Pizza, Teriyaki Madness, Menchie’s Yogurt, Smash Burger, Starbucks, Chipotle, Verizon, Sports Clip Hair Cuts
- More Dunes Information
- At build-out, The Dunes is estimated to generate $2.6M annual surplus to Marina’s general fund and gas tax fund
- Increased sales and TOT taxes comprise 57% of that number
- During construction, The Dunes will generate nearly 800 direct and indirect construction jobs
- At build-out, The Dunes is estimated to generate thousands of permanent jobs with annual payroll of $193M
Springhill Suites (Marriott) Hotel Project:
- Vertical construction has begun
- Opening anticipated early Spring 2016
- Location - 10TH & 2ND Ave.; on a 2.62 acre project site (APN’s 031-251-046 & 031-251-047)
- Project– 4 story hotel, 106 rooms
- 1,750 sq. ft. meeting room
- Hotel 67,328 sq. ft.
- Design Review Board approved project on October 15, 2014; Planning Commission for Conditional Use Permit for Type 48 Alcoholic Beverage Control License for hotel bar October 23, 2014
- Site and architectural design review approved by Planning Commission; Conditional Use Permit for alcoholic beverage sales approved by Planning Commission
- Site and Architectural Design Review to FORA Administrative Committee and Board of Directors
- FORA Consistency for Conditional Use Permit Administrative Committee December 3, 2014; Information Report to Board of Directors December 12, 2014
- Special Tree Committee Meeting January 20, 2015 to permit removal of 45” Monterey cypress
- Foundation under construction
- Total project cost expected to be $21M
Fort Ord Recreation Trails and Greenway (FORTAG) including Veterans Memorial Trail:
On November 20, 2014 a joint study meeting with the City Council and Planning Commission was held to continue the discussion regarding recreational trails and greenway corridors that started at last year’s City Council strategic visioning retreat.
Final motion from City Council included the following 8 elements:
1. Support concept substantially presented by Exhibit C of a trail and greenway system and a process to progress with that concept
2. Inclusive of city parks and residential and the connection to those
3. How this can be done on lands that the city controls
4. That we come back with some design features such as widths of different segments
5. That we propose this concept as Marina’s contribution for a Urban Design Guideline process
6. Fort Ord Recreational Trail Concept - direct staff to work with Fred Watson to get more refined maps that include potential trails across Cypress Knolls, EDC parcels, Marina Equestrian Center and Airport
7. That we direct staff to talk with FAA for trail incorporation to appropriate planning documents that FAA controls
8. That staff seeks expeditiously as appropriate for addressing solutions to habitat management
Fora is preparing a plan with standards and cost estimates for the regional trail system. On August 5, 2015, the City Council directed staff to hire a parks and trails master planning consultant.
Multi-Modal Corridor: On June 3, 2014 TAMC gave presentation; Council supported Option # 2 (8Th Street/2ND Avenue/Imjin Parkway) as preferred route. TAMC made another presentation of the updated Multi-Modal Corridor conceptual plan to the City Council on June 2, 2015.
Rockrose Gardens (Interim/Lexington Ct.)-Completed: The project is a two 2-story residential building and a 1-story community building. This 21 unit affordable housing project for adults with disabilities is fully occupied. A ribbon cutting ceremony was held December 5, 2014 at the site.
Marina Beach Townhomes - (3033 – 3039 Marina Dr.) – current SF residential structure and duplex.
- Replace with 17 new units plus legalization of 2 units
- Environmental review in process.
Capital Improvement Projects
Reservation Rd - Seacrest to Crescent
Roadway Maintenance Project (Overlay)
Project Fall 2015.
Del Monte and Beach Intersection
Intersection Improvement (traffic signal & potential round about)
Advertise for summer bid. Project fall/winter 2015.
Imjin Pkwy Bike Lane Project
Substantially completed – not issued a NOC
Imjin Pkwy Transportation Enhancement Project
(2nd Ave – Imjin Rd)
Combining with Reservation Rd and its schedule
Bureau of Land Management
- Parcel location - between FORA and VTC
- Project Headquarters for BLM - $1.2M
- 9,323 sq. ft.
- Foundation permit issued
- Issued construction permit – late April 2015
- Estimated project completion – fall 2015
Administrative site and architectural design review is complete. Building at Imjin Office Park in plan check.
This hotel, located at 120 Reservation Road, is in plan check.
New Industrial General Permit (IGP) by State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB)
- 1989 – present: small business were conditionally exempt of storm-water discharges;
- By August 14, 2015, many businesses seeking “Full Coverage” must comply with SWRCB new Industrial General Permit.
- By 10/1/15, for those businesses seeking the “No Exposure Certification” under the Permit.
The goal of SWRCB is to eliminate/reduce pollutants in storm water runoff, prohibit unauthorized non-storm water discharges, and improve local water quality and environment
IGP Permit: Business type subject to state certification:
- Cabinet shops
- Stone cutting
- Manufacturing businesses
- Metal fabrication
- Self – storage facilities, storage yards
- Small business with storage yard on site
- Warehousing and many more!
- Full coverage - develop an approved Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP), sampling & monitoring, & fee;
- Notice of Non-Applicability (NONA) = no risk of exposure to waterway & fee. Storm water does not discharge from site ever;
- No Exposure Certificate (NEC) = document that facility or site has no exposure of industrial activities, or materials to storm water discharges i.e. business activities are conducted interior of building & fee.
KIDD Radio Towers in Locke Paddon Park:
Demolition and removal of North and South 350 foot high radio transmission towers located within Locke-Paddon Community Park in Marina occurred on March 21 and 22, 2015. Constructed in 1955 under jurisdiction of the County of Monterey, the KIDD radio towers were 60 years old and could no longer be safely climbed for maintenance of the towers and attached aviation safety beacons. Remaining cleanup will be completed after nesting season, approximately September 2015.
CalAm Slant Test Well Project:
- Sept. 3, 2014, Reso 2014-103 City Council denied CDP #2012-05 for slant test well project located at CEMEX’s Lapis Road Property
- California Coastal Commission approved permission to drill a test well on CEMEX site
- Draft Environmental Impact Report (DEIR) for Desalination Project to be released end of April, 2015.
- City Council scheduled to hear comments concerning DEIR on June 23, 2015. Comments for DEIR due by September 30
- City conducting additional hydrogeological analysis of Geoscience groundwater model